ALBUM REVIEW: Clancy by Twenty One Pilots

   I won't get too much into it (maybe I will for a different episode), but Twenty One Pilots has sort of made a concept universe with most of their albums. And this new one is sort of supposed to be the conclusion to the story, even though the ending is kind of open-ended, so I hope that means they'll do something that gives a clear ending. 
   So I'm here to review the new album from Twenty One Pilots, Clancy. 

1. Overcompensate: 9/10
   This was the lead single from the album, and I remember when it came out while I was at work. I listened to it with my phone to my ear and I remember getting, like, happy excitement chills from hearing that voice go "WELCOME BACK TO TRENCH". This song still gets stuck in my head a lot, it has really clever lyrics, and it's just really catchy.

2. Next Semester: 10/10
   This isn't just my favorite song from the album, but it's now one of my favorite Twenty One Pilots songs. It was the second single from the album, and they really made sure the first two singles really set the tone well. I just love this song. "Can't change what you've done/start fresh next semester".

3. Backslide: 7/10
    This was the third of four singles from this album, and I'll admit it took me a while to get down. It's a really good song, don't get me wrong, but I would say it's probably the weakest of the singles.

4. Midwest Indigo: 7/10
   This song isn't too much special, but there's not much wrong with it either. I don't really know what to tell you other than "hey man it's pretty good".

5. Routines in the Night: 8/10
    Another catchy one that you'll get down quickly and get stuck in your head fairly often.

6. Vignette: 9/10
    Definitely a powerful song with some cool lyrics.

7. The Craving (Jenna's Version): 9/10
    I believe this was the fourth and final single from the album. I think it's about Tyler's wife, given the "Jenna's Version" tag (her name is Jenna). It's a beautiful love song, and definitely the "ballad" part of the album.

8. Lavish: 9/10
    Another really catchy one. See "Vignette" and "Overcompensate".

9. Navigating: 8/10
    The day this album came out, I asked my boss if I could have aux and I made all my coworkers listen to it. I still hadn't listened to most of it, but as I stood there working and listening, this one stood out.

10. Snap Back: 8/10
     "If I'm gonna snap necks/then I gotta snap back". When I first saw the tracklist, I thought this song was gonna be about hats. Instead, it seems to be about acknowledging you need to be in a good mental state if you wanna go after your problems.

11. Oldies Station: 7/10
      This one also stood out to me when I was listening to the album at work, but I do think it's a little weaker than "Navigating". Still quite good, though.

12. At the Risk of Feeling Dumb: 10/10
      This one's just really bombastic and enthusiastic, and probably the most rock-y track on the album. It just goes really hard and blends several different styles really nicely.

13. Paladin Strait: 9/10
     The ending of this one gave me actual chills hearing it. Clancy finally confronts Blurryface and we hear Blurryface talk to him. This track serves as the conclusion to the story, at least for now, so understandably, it's pretty epic.

OVERALL SCORE: 85%


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ALBUM REVIEW: The Maybe Man by AJR

ALBUM REVIEW: Saviors by Green Day

FROM MR. HARDY'S DESK: What Is Emo?