Mr. Hardy's Top Twenty (Active) Bands

20. Gorillaz
      Favorite Album: Demon Days
   Gorillaz is probably the most unique band on this list. Why? Because they're technically not real. The two real people behind Gorillaz are the guy who does vocals and music, and the guy who draws the characters for music videos and stuff. The band members are virtual creations, and are voiced either by the real-life vocalist or one of several musicians they collaborate with. I just love how creative this idea is, and I like their music for the blend of alternative and hip hop it is. They also always have really good instrumentals.

19. For King & Country 
      Favorite Album: Burn The Ships
    My favorite Christian band is two brothers who are from Australia but are also from Tennessee. Their music has an epic, grandiose sound that is surprising to think about is primarily produced by only two men. They both have amazing voices too, and I've never seen them live, but from footage I've seen, they put on quite the live show.

18. Blink-182
     Favorite Album: California
    I've had an on-and-off-again relationship with Blink-182. I've had times where I think they're overrated, but I've come to the realization that I really do love them. They may be middle-aged men who still dress and act like teenagers, but that's part of their charm - the whole "eternal youth" thing. Plus, they're so influential that I honestly believe no punk band can exist today without being at least a little inspired by them, even if they don't know it (them and Green Day). And Tom DeLonge's voice may be easy to make fun of, but I think even those of us who make fun of it still have to admit that even still, it's iconic.

17. New Politics
     Favorite Album: Vikings
    This band hasn't done any formal release in like four years and their social media presence is basically nothing, and the lead singer does solo music now, so idk how much you can call them an active band - but apparently on paper they still are. But, I love them. They are one of few bands I am completely familiar with every album of. They are definitely unique for blending punk, alternative, dance, and hip hop, and the lead singer doing incredible dance moves on stage. Plus, they're from Denmark! Well, two of the three are.

16. Rise Against 
     Favorite Album: Siren Song Of The Counter Culture
   Ah yes, the only band that screams on this list. Don't worry, they're still by-and-large a sing-y band. The screaming is only sometimes. They're a straightforward punk rock band, with all the fast guitars and drums and government hatred you'd expect. But they also have an amazing propensity for ballads and genuine emotion. Plus, they and Fall Out Boy go way back. More on them later.

15. Jukebox The Ghost
     Favorite Album: Off To The Races
    Kinda funny that I'm following up such a heavy punk band with such a bouncy indie pop/power pop band. Their music is definitely fun and entertaining but also full of talent and meaning. One day a long time ago I sent a Snapchat to them saying I hoped I would see them live, to which one of the members responded with a selfie and the caption "someday you will!" he was right. And it was a very good show.

14. Vampire Weekend
     Favorite Album: Modern Vampires Of The City
    I have tickets to see them this summer! I love the blend of indie rock and piano rock, and it feels like when they sit down to write a song, they really know what they're doing. The lyricism behind Vampire Weekend is some of the best I know of, and each album feels like a unique entry into a catalog of a band who will always bring something special to the table.

13. The Airborne Toxic Event
     Favorite Album: All At Once
    Speaking of lyricism, the lead singer of this band is literally a professional writer, so you know you're getting some top-notch songwriting. He even recently published an autobiography, with the band releasing a companion album to go with it. The mixing of indie rock with orchestral music is truly a beautiful sound to hear, and every song promises you an experience of genuine emotion and meaning.

12. My Chemical Romance
     Favorite Album: The Black Parade
    Now we're getting to the big boys. The Black Parade is my second favorite album of all time, but that doesn't mean the other three aren't also great. When they broke up, the world was heartbroken, but they came back. Are they a little edgy? Of course. But it's not like I'm going up to old women and suggesting MCR. Whether it's the story of death and despair that is The Black Parade, or the sci-fi story of rebellion and emotion that is Danger Days, My Chemical Romance have earned the fame that is associated with their name.

11. Twenty One Pilots
      Favorite Album: Vessel
     Remember that blog where I talked about concept albums and why I love them so much? Well, Twenty One Pilots have several, and they form a sort of shared universe that follows one or across several albums. That is amazing, and they are very creative and unique for doing that. I don't know of any other artist that's done that. Plus, Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun are both such versatile and talented artists. Tyler is amazingly talented as a singer, rapper, and writer, and that is all exceptionally boosted by Josh.

10. Muse
     Favorite Album: Absolution
    My second favorite British band! You'll see my first favourite in a bit. Matt Bellamy's vocals are undebatably amazing, so are his guitar skills (seriously, if you wanna hear amazing guitar, listen to "Plug In Baby"), and the instrumentals from the other two are great too. And, fun fact - while most bands go through lineup changes, Muse has been the same three chaps since 1994! Whether it's their trademark stamp of societal hatred or Matt just crooning about a woman he loves, Muse definitely knows how to make good music. And they are very amazing live.

9. Imagine Dragons
   Favorite Album: Night Visions
  I don't care what half the internet says; Imagine Dragons is good. Is their music radio-friendly? Yes. Is that a bad thing? No, especially not in this case. People need to get over this idea that poppy = bad. They make incredibly catchy, incredibly sing-along music. They are one of the bands I go way back with - I remember listening to them in middle school and I'm 23. They're Live In Vegas special was great, and even the weaker tracks on their albums aren't bad. Each one is a good experience from start to end.

8. Weezer
   Favorite Album: Everything Will Be Alright In The End
  If you're at all geeky, you probably like Weezer. They just exude that "I know I'm weird, but I'm going to embrace it" energy. I love the confidence and the refusal to compromise yourself just to appease others. But it's not just that - that wouldn't matter if the music wasn't good. No one cares about a band who is proudly themselves if their music sucks. But Weezer is great! There's a reason I've seen them live twice! And they're like, constantly releasing music. It can be frustrating with some bands, taking years between even single songs. But Weezer is almost constantly putting something new out.

7. Paramore
   Favorite Album: This Is Why
  From this point on, there's not really a true order to the ranking except for who's number one. Paramore has the distinction of being one of the few mid-2000's pop-punk/"emo" renaissance bands that are still going strong (the next one also applies!) and like just about every straight dude with even a passing interest in pop-punk has had at some point, I have a huge crush on Hayley Williams. But I don't want you to think my reason for ranking Paramore higher up is "hot girl" - they've definitely earned their spot here. I had the joy of seeing them live last year with my best friend, and it was a great concert.

6. Fall Out Boy
   Favorite Album: From Under The Cork Tree
  Another band I go way back with! The morning of the day I wrote this, one of my coworkers put on From Under The Cork Tree this morning at work after I told him I ordered it on vinyl, and what followed was me, him, and a different coworker singing along and air-instrumenting to different songs. That's exactly what's so great about Fall Out Boy - the songs are so memorable and you can so passionately jam out to them with your friends. And, like Hayley Williams, Patrick Stump has objectively one of the best voices in music today.

5. Green Day
   Favorite Album: American Idiot 
  I mentioned them in the Blink-182 part, so you should've known they were coming. They're so influential, they're literally in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I have tickets to see them in September and I'm insanely excited. They had a new album this year and it's fantastic. Their career is so iconic - these people made Dookie, Nimrod, American Idiot, 21st Century Breakdown, and Saviors, and those are just the really iconic ones! While I may not agree with or like some of their opinions, I am super attached to this band on the other hand. I don't need to tell you how much I love American Idiot. But even if that album wasn't there, there's still so much Green Day to love.

4. Bleachers
   Favorite Album: Strange Desire
  Having Bleachers in my top ten feels like throwing a bone to my younger self. I was obsessed with fun.. The frontman of Bleachers is Jack Antonoff, who was a member of fun., and started Bleachers as a side project. I've been with Bleachers since their inception, when fun. was still a thing, and fun. broke up in 2015. That's how long I've liked Bleachers. They make music that is fun.-like enough to appeal to those fans, while being enough of their own thing and attract new people and make fans for themselves. 

3. The Killers
   Favorite Album: Sam's Town
  This is about as rock and roll of a modern band as you're gonna get. They definitely appeal to classic rock and the heartland feel that a lot of dads today (including mine) like. Dad, I think you'd love The Killers if you listened to them more. Though some of their music is so heartland/Americana that it's almost country, so I'm a little surprised I like it so much. They just feel like such a beacon of hope for artistic music in an era where so much of the airwaves are dominated by pop heartthrobs and mumble rappers.

2. AJR
   Favorite Album: OK Orchestra
  I'm looking at you again, that same half of the internet that hates Imagine Dragons - AJR is great, and I don't care what you think. The three electro-doo-wop brothers never cease to amaze. While Living Room is less than stellar, even that one is still pretty good. But they get so much better from there. OK Orchestra and The Maybe Man show that those kids aren't kids anymore - and they're still dealing with that change. Adulthood is full of issues that everyone relates to as they grow up, and AJR is here to give you a soundtrack for it.

1. Bastille
    Favorite Album: Wild World
   Bastille was my second favorite band when fun. was my favorite. I remember when Bad Blood was Bastille's new and only album, and that was 2013. Bastille has been one of my favorites for over a decade! I have a soft spot for music that is upbeat with depressing lyrics, and Bastille is the absolute epitome of that. A lot of Bastille centers around the end of the world and the worsening of society, which are things that are definitely on a lot of people's minds. Listening to Bastille reminds you that you're not the only one who feels these things, and they're doing it to such great music. Seriously, four albums to date and not a single one misses one bit.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ALBUM REVIEW: The Maybe Man by AJR

ALBUM REVIEW: Saviors by Green Day

FROM MR. HARDY'S DESK: What Is Emo?